These days, it seems like more and more people are working from home, and why not?
There’s lots of perks: no commuting, working in the comfort of your own home, being there when the kids need you, etc.
Nevertheless, there are some things to watch out for and be aware about.
For instance, the issue of home security.
According to the FBI, most home burglaries occur during the hours of 9AM – 3PM. Since these will be pretty much the hours when you’ll be working out of home, it makes sense to be aware of any potential risks and take steps to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Here are some tips you can use to help boost the security of your home and at the same time keep your family safe:
Burglars are very opportunistic criminals. The FBI states that 85% of break-ins are from non-professionals that are usually more desperate and dangerous. However, the other 15% is what you have to worry about and they’re more common than you think.
Here are some of the common things a burglar looks for when targeting a home:
Privacy Fences – Burglars prefer lots of cover and what’s better than a wall protecting him from the street and your neighbors.
Landscaping – It seems strange that landscaping would attract a burglar to your home, right? As mentioned above, burglars love cover. Any sort of high vegetation, such as trees and shrubbery, allow a burglar to break a window without being noticed.
Piled Up Mail & Newspapers – Anytime a burglar sees this, he assumes nobody has been home for a while. In other words, a vulnerable target.
Product Packaging – Some people tend to throw away the packaging of the recently purchased flat screen TV. The only problem with this is that you just let everyone on the block know of your recent purchase, and who knows who else has seen it. A burglar perhaps?
Some of the industry standards burglars use to enter your home:
· Unlocked window or door
· Kicking a door in
· Prying a door or window open
· Shattered window
Meet the Distraction Burglar
Now for most of you that are home during the day, there is a new tactic being used by burglars called the “distraction burglary.”
It’s simple, a distraction burglary is where a “visitor” comes to your home, tells you some story or lie to swindle their way into your home, or creates a ruse to distract the victim long enough so an accomplice can slip into your home.
For instance, the distraction burglar will pose as a utility worker, plumber, roofer, or even a city worker. There are even some that have gone as far as posing as someone in distress such as a pregnant woman having car trouble. While the homeowner is occupied by the “pregnant woman,” a second partner in crime enters the unlocked home and steals jewelry, cash, or any electronics he/she can get their hands on.
How to Defend Yourself from the Distraction Burglar
1. No one ever said that you are obligated to open the door. If you don’t know who the person is behind your door, don’t open it!
2. If the “con” or “distraction” is compelling enough, call a friend or neighbor nearby to come over and check the outside of your home, as well as the visitor.
3. If you are ever successfully lured outside your home, lock the door behind you. This includes any other entryways into your home, including windows and the garage.
4. If you’re unsure about the nature of the visit, don’t open the door!
The best way to ensure the overall security of your home is by utilizing or installing a home security system. Not only can it deter a burglar from choosing your home, but it can also be your first line of defense against a thief in case you are home while the crime occurs. Working from home in a way, does lower chances of a burglary since you’re at home and alert, but taking a few pre-emptive steps will strengthen a home’s security more than ever.
What home security tips do YOU follow to keep your home and loved ones safe?
This sponsored post was written by Kevin Raposo, a blogger for SimpliSafe & Infobia. Kevin covers issues related to home security, crime, safety, and consumer issues. Kevin is a dedicated writer and musician, spreading the word through music and blogging. SimpliSafe is a leader in the wireless home security field.
Photo Credit: Chanpipal/FreeDigitalPhotos