It has been SO much fun sharing gift ideas with all of you. Savin’ the best for the last, however, now it is time for some frugal and seriously fun gifting ideas for the littlest yet the most important people in our lives – our children.
Want to know why I believe strongly in giving gifts to kids, head over to Life as Mom to read my post.
In my case, being mom to a toddler meant hunting for gifts for preschool-aged kids, so here you go.
My top 25 under $50 gifts for toddlers and preschoolers:
Board Games and Puzzles
1. HiHo Cherry-O for ARV $11
Perfect for toddlers aged 3 and up. Simple game that introduces kids to counting.
2. Original Memory for ARV $8.15
Perfect for preschoolers aged 3-6. Encourages kids to learn matching and coordination.
3. Flippity Find for ARV $12.89
My toddler has this one and LOVES it. It is perfect for improving eye-hand coordination, developing memory skills and is perfect for solo play as well.
4. Chutes and Ladders Disney Princess at ARV $13.99
Perfect for a princess-lovin’ little girl. However, it does need more than one player. It is Disney’s spin on the classic Snakes and Ladders.
5. CandyLand at ARV $11.72
Another game for a family with 2 or more preschooler-aged kids, this one is a fun, colorful version of the all-time favorite Candyland.
6. Boggle Jr at ARV $9.92
Perfect for introducing your preschooler to word-building and letter recognition. Again, a great game for an only child as well.
7. Snap It Up! at ARV $10.91
This one is great if your preschooler is starting to show an interest in word-building. However, it does have a recommended age of 5-7 years.
Outdoor Play Presents
8. Step2 WaterWheel Activity Table at ARV $41.79
My toddler loves this. She has it at her playschool and this is a great thing to have if you have a balcony or limited outdoor space.
9. Push Around Buggy at ARV $49.99
Again, a toy that my daughter has and loves. She doesn’t have this exact one from Step2 but one from Playschool, but it is the same thing. She has been playing with it since she was 18 months and still loves it!
Books That Make Great Gifts
10. What is Christmas by Michelle Medlock Adams
My toddler is getting this as one of her stocking stuffers this year. Written in simple rhyming style, this is a book that talks about the real meaning of Christmas and not just focusing on Santa and presents. Being a board book, a short read and easy-to-read, makes it a great starting point for “teaching” toddlers about “just what is Christmas”.
11. Come and See Baby Jesus: 50 Fun Lift-the-Flaps
We received this book to review a couple of years ago and it has become a favorite with my toddler. Want your preschooler to learn the story of Jesus’ birth along with learning colors, shapes, numbers and more? This is the book for you. Read my detailed review here.
12. Instead of listing more individual books, I’m linking to the posts that I’ve done this year on books for toddlers and preschoolers for a variety of reasons. I totally adore all these books (some of them by authors I know personally!) and hope you’ll find one that’ll make your preschooler’s face light up!
- Gentle Guidance and Positive Discipline with Petey’s Listening Ears by L.R. Knost
- Teaching Kids About Good Manners and Sportsmanship with Leslie A. Susskind
- Stinky Kids and the Runaway Scissors by Britt Menzies
- Manners Stink by Demika Caldwell
- Mommy and Daddy Work to Make Some Dough by Jennifer Lynn Pereyra
- Books to Teach Toddlers Manners
- Kids’ Cookbooks
- Potty Training Books
- Books to Teach Toddlers About Stranger Danger
Pretend Play and Plush Toys
In this category, I am linking to brands that I feel best fit what my toddler actually owns and uses.
13. Doll Stroller at ARV $32.99
Again, a toy similar to one that our daughter has and completely adores. If you have a little girl, she will love playing “mommy” by taking her “baby” for a walk in this every evening. Trust me, I know.
14. Pretend Play Tea Set from ARV $20.00
Every little kid wants to have a tea party and I can attest to the fact that it is a fab way to keep kids busy for at least an hour if not more.
15. Pretend Play Doctor Set from ARV $22.00
Another pretend play set that I can totally vouch for. Not only is it great fun to see your preschooler be “doctor”, a doctor set is also a great way to teach kids about parts of the body, basics of health and hygiene as well as drive away the fear of doctors.
16. Cleaning Trolley from ARV $23.99
Want to raise a neater toddler? Get them a cleaning trolley and let them join you while you dust and mop. We got this for our daughter last Christmas and it was an instant hit! Complete with play mop, broom and bucket and other cleaning accessories, this is a pretend play set that will have your toddler cleaning up all the time!
17. Toy Kitchen from ARV $32.99
Every child loves to play chef. And so, if you haven’t gotten a pretend play kitchen, now’s the chance. Again, endless hours of pretend play, tea parties and cooking to keep a preschooler engaged and happy.
18. Pretend Car Park Set from ARV$49.99
I’d initially planned to make this one using a craft tutorial. Let’s just say that didn’t happen. So, we did the next best thing. Hunted for an “affordable” car parking set that my car-happy daughter could play with. This one from Wader is the closet to the one we actually ended up buying. If you have a car-lovin’ preschooler, this is a gift that is bound to make the li’l driver very happy.
With functional parts like a car wash, gas station, elevator and of course, the ramp, this is a pretend play set that is bound to lead to hours of fun.
Plush Toys Make Great Preschooler Presents
Here I’m linking to some of my favorite organic or small-business plush toy companies. Anything you would buy from them would make a child’s life happier and environment safer. Win-win!
19. Brunette Toddler Doll from Dandelion Organics at $24.99
This is one of my favorite organic brands and I love this plush toddler doll (comes in choice of brunette and blonde) made of organic cotton and filled with soft corn fibers. At just $24.99, this is a great doll to gift that li’l girl in your life.
20. Believe Organic Plush from Dandelion Organics at $19.99
Again, truly adorable plush toys from this eco-friendly company. This is a collection of mama and baby animals. So, you have mommy and baby polar bear, rhino and elephant. Made of super-soft organic materials and from an ARV of $19.99, these make adorable presents for both boys and girls.
21. Kimochis Cloud from Imagine Toys at $24.95
I adore this plush, little toy/pillow that teaches kids about emotions and expressing them. Kimochis Cloud comes with 3 faces- Happy, Mad and Sad. Perfect for helping kids express their feelings. At an ARV of $24.95, it is a cute gift for any toddler.
Art and Craft Gift Ideas
22. Fisher-Price Doodle Board at ARV $19.99
This is one of my toddler’s favorite toys. It is a great way to build writing skills, pass time when traveling and encourage a toddler to be creative as well. Love it! Must-have for every mom!
23. FeltTales Busy Day on the Farm at ARV $19.99
While my toddler doesn’t own this exact felt farm, she has the one from Early Learning Centre and it is a fantastic way to introduce kids to life on the farm. Build a story, introduce farm animals, encourage them to “make” their own farm are just some of the ways in which you can use this toy with your preschooler.
24. Coloring and Sticker Books at ARV well under $15
Always, always a hit with toddlers and preschoolers. I always have a stash of these to pull out whenever my daughter finishes with one.
25. Washable Paints and Crayons at ARV well under $10
These make great stocking stuffers or you can pair them with the coloring and activity books for a fun art kit as well.
What would you be gifting your preschooler this year?
Photo Credit: Elizabeth
May We Suggest
- [Giveaway] Make Playtime Stress-free and Simplified: Simple Parenting and Play Planner
- How to “Spring” into Action and Get Organized at Home and Work in ONE Go!!
- Fun and Frugal Ways to Keep Kids Busy While You Work
- Mothering the Mother: Self-Care Tips for Busy Moms
- Time Management with Kids: How to Leave the House On Time!