An important part of being a mom, at least for me, is to be prepared. For anything, anywhere, anytime. However, I also know that it isn’t possible for me to carry everything, all the time. Also, I stopped using a diaper bag long, long ago since it was too cumbersome for me to lug a handbag and a diaper bag everywhere. I already have a waiting room kit stashed in the car for longer rides and wait times, so I could really do with less baggage.
So, I invested in a couple of large yet smart, multi-pocketed handbags in black and maroon ( the two colors I wear the most) and organized them to hold everything that my toddler and I could need when out and about.
Here are the contents of my “mommy” purse, stuff that sees us through hunger pangs, tantrum times and more.
1. Mom Stuff. This is the stuff that I need and use when am out. It includes:
- My wallet with cash and cards.
- My cell phone.
- Sunglasses and spectacles.
- A small pouch with my lipstick, kohl pencil, a travel-size tube of hand lotion and a lip balm.
- A pen and small notebook (read Mandi’s excellent post on always having one handy).
- A small bottle of my favorite perfume (also great for covering up any weird smells)
- A small bottle of water. (I’ve stopped buying bottled water when we’re out to save money on our food budget)
- Comb (to brush out our hair after long rides or simply to look neater than we do!)
2. Toddler Stuff. These items see us through waiting rooms, car rides, trips to the mall and more.
- A small container with a few snacks. We share the bottle of water.
- A coloring pad with a couple of crayons.
- Hand sanitizer.
- A change of undergarments folded and secured neatly with a scrunchie!
- Cloth handkerchiefs (old fashioned but eco-friendly and great for runny noses and teething troubles)
- Baby wipes (to clean handrails, toilet seats and trolley handles at the supermarket)
- Hair clips (she has extremely curly hair that needs to be tamed with a clip or two)
That’s it. I know, it seems a lot. But since my handbag has two large outer pockets and one large middle section with 2 smallish compartments for cell phone and other small stuff, it is very easy to organize things.
- One outer pocket holds toddler stuff for quick and easy access.
- The middle section holds items that need to be in a safe, zippered place- cell phone, wallet, sunglasses and spectacles, any important papers or documents.
- The second outer pocket holds the remaining mom stuff – pen, notebook, makeup pouch, water bottle and comb.
No separate bags, no forgetting things, no hunting for a pen or snack when you need it the most.
This post is part of the Moms’ 30-Minute Blog Challenge hosted by Jamie of Steady Mom, every Tuesday. A complete post in 30 minutes, from start to finish. Check it out!
Your turn! Do you carry a separate bag for your toddler? Or do you get your handbag or purse to multi-task for you? Do share!!
Photo Credit: Mrs. Flinger
The Mom Writes
Latest posts by The Mom Writes (see all)
- Organization Tips from Our Home to Yours: 3 Things We Do Every Evening for a Happier Morning - September 1, 2015
- The Ultimate Closet Organization Ideas Guide: 22 Experts Share Their Best Tips - August 18, 2015
- 9 Time Management Secrets Every Mom Blogger Should Know - August 13, 2015